Thursday, April 14, 2011

No, the other East.

I grew up in Wisconsin, with Lake Michigan to the East.  I went to school in Virginia, with the Atlantic Ocean to the East.  I lived in St. Louis, with the Mississippi River to the East.  My world has large bodies of water to the east.

Once I moved out to the Pacific Northwest, that all changed.  Suddenly, the Puget Sound (or Salish Sea as they now would like to refer to it) is to the west.  So is the Pacific Ocean.  An my grandfather would say, "This is backwards and wrong."

I've been out here ten years, and I still get on the highway going East to go toward the water.  When giving directions, I still have to think hard about which way is East.  Mostly, though, it's just a verbal and written hangup.  When I see a map, I know which way is east.  That is good, for when I start having to read maps when I'm on the trail, it would really be bad if I started walking East.  No, the other East.

Whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment