Thursday, March 31, 2011

Packing for Training.

As you can see with my exercise logs, I've been being more intentional about working out.  With the advent of spring, it is time to take it to the next level.  By that I mean putting on more weight while walking around.

Over the weekend, I decided to pack my pack full of something to increase the weight for training purposes.  It had to be relatively heavy, but soft at the same time.  It had to be something I didn't care about getting wet for there will be times where I go wandering around in the rain.  And it couldn't be entirely consistent, for the weight varies much regarding what you put in your pack.

When packing a backpack, the heaviest item should be between your shoulders nearest to your back.  Lighter items should be a little farther from your back, with the lightest items on the top, bottom and back of the backpack.   The diagram on the right will give you an idea of how it should go.

So, for the heaviest item, I chose a ream of paper we had sitting around.  For the lighter blue, I found about 60 golf balls lying around the garage, and finally, I surrounded the whole thing with the rags from the t-shirt quilt.  Voila, a backpack that weighs just shy of 30 lbs.

2 comments: