Sunday, March 20, 2011

Facing the Music.

Soon, I will have to face one of my largest irritants in life, shopping.  It's not that I don't like shopping, it's more like I like a limited number of choices.  Let me start with a story from a while back.

I needed to buy some gym shorts and I made the mistake of going into a sporting goods store.  Rather than having a section devoted to gym shorts, there were displays of basketball shorts, running shorts, jogging shorts, quick-dry shorts, biking shorts, cargo shorts, etc.  In each of the displays was a choice of 5 brands, 3 styles per brand and 5 different colors.  I'm certain there were over 200 distinct pairs of shorts in the store and all I needed was a pair of gym shorts.  I gave up and went to Target where they had a choice of 5.  Sanity restored.

I'm all for choice, and for specific items, I like a large choice.  Unfortunately, for 95% of the stuff I buy, I don't really care that there are 200 choices.  So, when I start looking for gear for this trip, I'm certain I will confront the inevitable, too much information.  When I do, I'm sure I'll end up at Target.

No comments:

Post a Comment