Monday, March 28, 2011

Gear: Boots

I've been having this internal struggle regarding whether or not I need new boots for this trip. I've blogged about my last trip to REI and what I learned, including how to fit boots and what to look for.  My existing boots fit well and are broken in, but there are two things that could be better:  tread depth and longitudinal rigidity.

So, Gail and I went to REI, equipped with a 20% off coupon and a pair of hiking socks and tried on a couple of pair of boots.  The first pair I tried on fit too tightly across the top and ball of the foot.  I had to get to a size 11 (I usually wear either a 10 or 10.5) before they felt comfortable.  The second pair I tried didn't snug up my heel so I went to the next pair. 

This pair was highly regarded by two of the associates in the shoe department, and when I put them on, I could see why.  Although they seem a bit heavier than my current boots, they fit quite nicely across the front of the foot, and hold my heel very nicely.  So, with REI's generous return policy , I picked up this pair of boots. 

Next, I get to start the break in process, which will start with little strolls around work.  In a couple of weeks, with the weather getting better, they should be ready to hit the trails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment