Sunday, March 13, 2011

Another Good(?) Reason to Hike the Wonderland Trail.

Last night, we watched Zombieland.  I'm not that much into horror movies, specifically of the Zombie subgenre, but I heard good things about it from my kids and I'm always up for a good satire.  So after watching the movie, I was struck with the question about where the best place to settle after the virus hits. 

You can think of a bunch of criteria, but I'm thinking that the highest priority for long-term survival (of descendants, not just oneself), would be electricity.  With electricity, one can work machines, provide heat, light and pumps, and in general, allow someone to maintain civilization.  So, what would be the best source of electricity?  Most power plants are very complicated, so my mind immediately went to a dam. 

The nice thing about dams is that there are usually lakes behind them (for fishing), out here in the west, they are usually in canyons (easily defended), and don't require fuel or much maintenance for generating electricity.  So, my choice would probably be a dam on the eastern side of the mountains from here (not too wet), yet close enough to a large city for regular excursions to pick up supplies (like Twinkies). 

So, what does this have to do with hiking the Wonderland Trail?  I guess you could say it helps train on survival skills, as well as Rule 1:  Cardio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment