Monday, March 21, 2011

Gear: Sleeping Bag (choices, choices


So, I have two choices for sleeping bags to bring along on this trip.  The one on the left is a plain old sleeping bag that we picked up at Target for $5 when it was on clearance.  We bought two of them and we used them to replace the sleeping bags we bought when we got married.  (They were wearing pretty badly.)  The one on the right is a Eddie Bauer mummy style bag that I got on sale a few years ago.  We got two of them, but I don't know where the other one went.  


As you can see when they're folded out, the plain old square sleeping bag is just that, where as the mummy bag is rated down to 30 degrees F.  The copper colored fabric next to it is actually an extra piece that can be zipped on so that it can go down to 0 degrees F.  Don't think I'll be needing that this trip. 

When I weighed these two bags, both of them weighed in at about 4 lbs.  The mummy bag feels a bit heavier, but that is highly subjective.

I'm kind of at a toss-up as to which bag I should bring.  I have to do more research on how cold it gets at various campsites on the trail at night in August. 

1 comment:

  1. I think you gave that other mummy bag to me as a gift!... Though I don't have that copper piece you are talking about. So maybe not.

    ReplyDelete