Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Saturday Stroll (with a GPS)

It came to pass that I finally got tired enough of the cold I'm fighting to go to the doctor.  It started last night with a number of dry coughing fits and although I managed to sleep until 6am, that was about it.  So instead of going up to the mountains to snowshoe, I ended up at the Walk-in Clinic at 8:30 this morning.  Sent on my way with a prescription and some recommended over the counter medicines, I figured that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to go snowshoeing in 40 degree weather with rain.  Instead, we decided that we'd take a long walk around the neighborhood.  6.75 miles later, I figured I should interrupt my Gear stories and talk about my neighborhood.

Mill Creek, Washington, was one of those 70's planned communities, with lots of walking trails, greenbelts (woods for those of you living on the other side of the Rockies) and cute neighborhoods surrounding a golf course and nature preserve.  Proper behavior is embedded on covenants enforced by the Mill Creek Community Association, otherwise referred to as the Garbage Can Nazis.  We live on the eastern edge of the city, and my prescription was being filled on the western edge.  So we decided to take a little walk to get the prescription.

Since we were walking, and since we got a new GPS (another story for another day), we decided to do some geocaching along the way. That took us to a bit of a round about route, allowing us to explore more trails than we usually do.  Playing with the new GPS, we decided to go ahead and track our route.  We found that during 3 hours, 15 minutes, we walked for 2 hours, rested for 1:15 and travelled 6.64 miles for an average walking speed of 3.3 miles per hour.  I had on a small backpack, maybe a couple of pounds at the most, so it was basically just a stroll.

And during all that time, no rain.  Altogether a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment